Web Software Popularity
Web software has become more and more popular over the last two years, since 'web 2.0' came on to the scene. This has opened up the possibilities and allowed complex and functionality rich applications to run through a browser for the first time.
During the coming years this popularity will ramp up as people realise the large benefits and cost savings that can be achieved by becoming technologically advanced. By staying on top of the comportition businesses worldwide really can jump ahead of the comportition.
One good example of how important web applications and the 'internet as a service', i.e. a piece of software is becoming can be seen in Googles recent operating system. It literally is simply a computer that runs a web browser - and thats it. Everything else happens within the web browser!
See Google Chrome OS for more information!
What is 'normal' software?
Normal software runs on your computer, like Microsoft Word. It is only available on your computer and any documents you write stay on the computer you wrote them on - unless you copy them on to a USB thumb drive or transfer them in some other way. It is also only compatible with certain computers, depending on the operating system (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) that you are running and the specifications (processor, ram etc.). You have to install it using a CD or something you have to download from the internet on every computer you want to use it from. It is as secure as the computer running it. If you want to backup anything made using 'normal' software you have to buy, install and configure some more software. If it breaks, you are probably going to have to pay someone to travel all the way to your computer to fix it.
What is 'web based' software?
Web based software can have the same functionality as Microsoft Word but instead it is accessed from the internet, like this website - you just browse to it and log in. It can also be available within your work environment only, on what is called an intranet - a bit like a mini internet that can be accessed from within your work environment only. If you use web based email like Gmail, Hotmail etc. or online banking then you are already a web software user.
Why is it better?
- Web based software doesn't care what computer you are using (any operating system, any specifications), as long as it has access to the internet. In the business it's referred to as heterogeneous software. You never have to ask if it's compatible again.
- Web software has everything you have written or recorded in one central place - so you don't have to copy things between computers and risk them getting stolen, lost or corrupted.
- You don't have to worry about installing anything.
- Web software automatically backs up *everything* for you to several off site locations, including your own if required. We can even send you a backup every minute if you really want to ensure that your data is safe.
- All of your data is in one place, accessible from any location in the world at any time. You can't leave that important data on your desktop computer again.
- It can be accessed from anywhere in the world; in the office, on the road and at home. Even on your mobile phone.
- Someone else you've thought of that needs access to your data - just set up a new account and within seconds they can log in from their own computer. Everyone has access to the latest data.
- It is extremely secure. You don't need to worry about your employee's losing their USB thumb drive or external hard drive again. You can decide exactly who has access and to what! You don't need to worry about security updates or patches. It's all secure and password protected.
- You never need to worry about upgrades or new versions - because that is done for you. You will always have the latest version!
- Any problems with the software can be fixed straight away, remotely. No one needs access to your computers.
- In fact - you don't actually have to worry about anything technical; you can just use the software for its intended purpose. We handle everything else.